On March 14th 2018 I took Mycah to his pediatrician because he was running a fever on and off for about two weeks. He started complaining about ear pain and had tiny red spots all over him. His pediatrician decided to send us to get blood work done.
About 30 minutes after leaving the doctor following our Mycah’s blood work, we got a devastating call from the doctor. He told us we need to take Mycah and head to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta because we think he may have Leukemia. Just hearing the word Leukemia was devastating. I called my mom and she said bring the Mycah’s sibling to her so we could head to Atlanta.
Immediately upon our arrival they began checking him and doing more blood work. They told us again that it was most likely leukemia and our stomachs sunk again. They admitted us into the hospital, there were still test that they were waiting on to confirm the Leukemia. The next day there were so many people coming in and out of the room. Finally an Oncologist looked at us and said that it is confirmed that Mycah has Leukemia.
I’m not sure exactly what happened after hearing the news of “your child has cancer.” All I remember is thinking how can my child have cancer. They told us that he has B-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. On March 16th they put his port in and that evening started his chemo. He was in the hospital for 6 days, he got out on Tuesday.
The following Friday we went to clinic for treatment and this started our weekly visits. We went for about 3 Weeks and then they told us that he was positive for the Philadelphia Chromosome. Since he had Philadelphia Positive B-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, his treatment plan a lot. They put him on a daily chemo pill and then he would have to be admitted into the hospital every 3 weeks for 3-5 days at a time for treatment.
At the 30 day mark, he went in for them to check the bone marrow to see if they seen any Leukemia in his bone marrow. They couldn’t do it because his sugar dropped and they ended up admitting him, they got his sugar up enough to do the procedure the next day. They called me on Monday and said that his bone marrow was clean, this means he is in remission(of course we know that we still have 3 years of treatment left) but this is a big deal. He got admitted April 23 for 5 days of treatment, after this he was in the hospital every week until June, not just for treatment some was because he was running fevers. We are now in month of treatment and his body is responding well to the chemo.