Project Description

William “Marshall”

Marshall is the oldest of seven kids and is a wonderful fun loving young man that makes his family very proud. He is so full of life and that is the reason he will beat this awful disease. Marshall was diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma on October 4, 2010.

On October 7, a lung biopsy determined that the cancer had spread to his lungs. This is the most common area for metastasis. It all started in February 2010 when the pain started and put him bed ridden for about a week. The doctor treated it as his Sciatica and put him on anti-inflammatory meds. The pain went away, and he went on his usual active life. Things changed when he would jog, do sit ups or anything that involved his right hip joint area. During these activities, he would get stabbing pains, and no matter what position he was in, the pain would not go away. Gradually, it would go away, but he could see that his right leg was limiting him on what he could do without hurting it. He would let it rest and, then, try to jog again, thinking he was fine. Then, the pain would come shooting back, getting worse each time.

Finally at the beginning of August 2010, he just stopped testing it and went on with his life, but the pain started coming every two weeks no matter how easy he took things. The pain was intensifying. Marshall was planning on going to the doctor for a physical anyway, so they just moved up the appointment so that the pain could be present when the doctor looked at him. On August 31, the doctor thought the same but, this time, wanted to do two weeks of anti-inflammatory meds to “put out the fire for good.” He also wanted to have an X Ray done to cover all bases but didn’t think he would find anything.

The x-Ray came back abnormal, and the doctor thought maybe it was due to Fibrous Dysplasia. Marshall and his family got sent to an orthopedic surgeon two days later, and he wanted to do an MRI. Marshall went back to the doctor next week to get the results, and he did not like the look of the tumor. They had been told it was/looked like Fibrous Dysplasia, but the radiologist could not be 99 percent sure. Therefore, he sent them to an orthopedic oncologist. She took blood and did two x-Rays (full pelvic bone, and chest), and scheduled a CT Scan and Bone Scan for the following week. A bone biopsy of the tumor was scheduled for the next week. It was a Monday when the orthopedic oncologist called to inform the family that Marshall had Ewing Sarcoma and she had found a tumor in his lung, and that could mean the cancer has metastasized.

An appointment with their pediatric oncologist was made the next day. This oncologist was to perform all of his chemo and take care of his treatments. They scheduled a PET Scan for the next day and did a Lung Biopsy, put his Hickman Catheter in, and did a Bone Marrow Biopsy the following day. Then, on Friday, Marshall started chemo!

Marshall went into surgery to have one of the tumors that was close to the wall of his lungs removed. They actually got two out, one roughly 3 mm and the other roughly 1mm. The surgeon came out to talk to us when he was done. He reported that it was in fact Ewing Sarcoma in his lungs. That meant ALL those little tumors, even the ones that were too small to see, were all cancer.

Marshall is now going to have six rounds of chemotherapy every two weeks until he is scheduled for surgery late this year or early next year. Surgery will remove the tumor and bone in his pelvis. Radiation and eight more rounds of chemo will follow post surgery. We have a tough disease to fight. Only one in five survives when Ewing Sarcoma has spread. However, Marshall has already said that he will be that one of the five, and we believe him. Marshall can and will beat this disease.

Rally For

Ewing’s Sarcoma